Virtual private networks (VPNs) have come a long way in the past decade, with native applications designed for a variety of operating systems, but there are still limitations to take into account. Using a VPN on your Asus router will ensure that all of your devices are secure and private.
Using a VPN on your Asus router also allow you to use a VPN on devices that don't allow you to load a VPN app directly onto them, such as game consoles. In this guide, we list the best VPNs for Asus routers and show you how to set up a VPN on your router.
The best VPNs for ASUS routers
Check out our top five VPN recommendations for ASUS routers in the list below. If you need more information on any of the services on the list, click on the providers website or check out our detailed VPN reviews.
ExpressVPN is a premium VPN service with excellent compatibility and support for ASUS routers, ExpressVPN won the Editor's Choice award for 2019. They offer an almost unbeatable level of security and offer average speeds of 82.77 Mbps (according to our tests). ExpressVPN also has excellent content unlocking capabilities with servers in 94 countries across 160 locations, so you'll be spoiled for choice when it comes to streaming. In addition to all of this, ExpressVPN also offers live chat support 24/7 to help you when you need it.
CyberGhost is a complete and easy-to-use VPN and won our Best Value VPN award in 2019. It offers excellent customer support, detailed guides to configure your router and maintains good average speeds (63.92 Mbps in our tests). ) with up to 7 simultaneous connections. With servers in 90 countries, users will be able to unblock regional content on most streaming platforms (although it has had a history of difficulties with BBC iPlayer).
Perhaps one of the most innovative features of CyberGhost is “split tunneling”, allowing you to exclude certain websites and applications from going through the VPN. This allows you to continue using wireless devices connected to your home network while keeping your online connections safe via the VPN. Being able to choose what goes through the VPN also helps to alleviate the bandwidth constraints caused by routing everything at once.
CyberGhost offers a newspaperless service; refuse to store connection logs and send only aggregated metadata (anonymously) to third party services for trend analysis. One aspect to improve is the lack of robust obfuscation (stealth) technology, which is needed to overcome VPN blockages in mass censored countries like China. Overall, CyberGhost is a good VPN that offers competitive prices at low prices.
PIA is a long-standing service with strong VPNOnlineFree encryption, Private Internet Access (PIA) offers 10 generous simultaneous connections and supports a wide range of routers (including AsusWRT). With more than 3,200 bare metal servers secured in 46 countries, PIA automatically detects and connects to its fastest server. In addition to excellent service, support and detailed guides are available to help you install PIA on your ASUS router.
If you're looking for an extra layer of privacy, you can also configure a Shadowsocks proxy to redirect the VPN through another location. PIA's obfuscation and stealth capabilities are great for people in countries with massive censorship. Overall, PIA is a supplier that continues to impress us and is constantly improving. If you are looking for a VPN that will increasingly protect your ASUS router over time, then PIA is the choice for you.
SurfShark is another VPN without logs. It is a relatively new service that entered the market, winning our Best Newcomer award for 2019. Its main selling point is that it offers unlimited connections on a single subscription. It is ideal for people who want to protect all devices in their home, as well as outside. At the same time, Surfshark offers a dedicated and detailed AsusWRT configuration tutorial with excellent 24/7 customer support to back it up via their live chat function.
With more than 1,700 servers in more than 63 countries, this VPN has excellent content unlocking capabilities. Geo-spoofing is made much easier thanks to their “smart DNS service” which allows you to change the VPN location on devices that cannot run a VPN client (such as smart TVs and game consoles). You can also use split tunneling through their “whitelist” functionality to exempt certain websites and IP addresses from the VPN. Surfshark is an economical VPN service which we hope will only get better over time.
VyprVPN is not only confident in its privacy practices, it obtains an independent third party to audit them. Its stealth chameleon mode is ideal for circumventing restrictive networks and censorship, helping to keep the Internet free and open. This high level of security also comes with a dedicated guide on configuring AsusWRT routers and 24-hour assistance.
With its goal of overcoming restrictive networks, it's no surprise that VyprVPN consistently unlocks regional content for streaming, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and iPlayer. Its no log policy and its average speeds of 60.32 Mbps (during our tests) make VyprVPN an ideal tool for the torrent via P2P. Although it is limited to only 5 connections per subscription, VyprVPN is a great choice for your ASUS router.
How to configure a VPN on my Asus router?
Fortunately, VPN services will usually have guides on how to configure a router with their service, and most of them will use the VPNOnlineFree protocol. We have put together a quick guide on how to set up a VPN on your ASUS router (running the ASUSWRT firmware). Some details may differ depending on the model of your router and we recommend that you look for a more specific guide for your make and model, but the overall process should be quite similar.
After deciding and subscribing to a VPN service, follow these steps to configure your ASUS router with VPNOnlineFree:
- Connect to your VPN provider's website and download configuration files (choose where you want to appear, but keep in mind that it can affect your speeds if you choose a distant country). This will give you a user name and password for the ASUS router control panel.
- In a new tab, access your router. This can be done by entering 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in the URL bar. You can usually find the password for your router's dashboard on the back of the router itself.
- Connect to ASUS router control panel and navigate through VPN >VPN client >Add a profile.
- Select your protocol (VPNOnlineFree) and insert a profile description.
- Enter your username and password from step 1.
- To select Choose file and add the configuration file from the first step.
- To select Download then OK when finished.
- To select Activate next to the profile to connect to this VPN location.
If you want to add multiple locations for your router, simply repeat this process, then enable and disable it if necessary.
Why do I need a VPN for my Asus router?
When you set up a VPN on your Asus router, this ensures that any device that connects to the Internet through it is protected. It's a great way to get around the device quantity limits imposed by VPN providers – especially if you want to protect many devices as cheaply as possible. With this in mind, it is important to remember that not all VPN services work with ASUS or Republic of Gamers (ROG) routers, so it's important that you find the one that's right for you.
Using a VPN also has great benefits. Geo-spoofing with your VPN allows you to change the location of your IP address – bypassing censorship and unblocking content from websites and streaming services. Using a VPN also allows you to buy video games that are not available in your country, and in some cases get them cheaper! Setting up a VPN on your router is a great way to open smart TVs, consoles, PCs, and other Internet-connected devices to a world of content, while protecting your online privacy. If you want to know more, check out our VPN article for PC games for some helpful tips.
Beginner's Guide to VPNs
Can I get a free VPN for my router?
You can get free VPN services, but we don't recommend using them with a router. Indeed, they often have data and speed limits that can slow down your Internet speed and even prevent you from accessing it completely. On top of that, even if you find one that is compatible, you will still be vulnerable to a host of other issues. here are the 6 the biggest problems with using a free VPN:
- Newspapers: Usage and connection logs are regularly used by free VPN services. These logs can easily be used to identify you.
- Leaks: Free VPN services are often prone to leaks, whether IPv4, IPv6, WebRTC or DNS, this information can expose you and your internet usage. Use only VPNs with leakage protection and stop switches.
- Malware: Whether it's adware, spyware or Trojans, free VPN services have a fragile history when it comes to infecting users' devices.
- Personal data: Free VPN services generally collect and sell your personal data to third parties. These services are free, but at what cost?
- Become an exit node: Some free VPN services are known to hijack users' IP addresses and bandwidth to create egress nodes for other users (a particular example is the infamous Hola). This can lead to the criminalization of users for the illegal activities of others.
- Location: Depending on where the VPN is based, they may be subject to questionable digital privacy laws. Departments based in Five / Nine / Fourteen Eyes countries may be required to deliver all logs and data collected about you.
What you should look for in a VPN
Having trouble with your router's VPN? try these quick steps to fix minor issues:
- Restart your router (did you try to turn it off and on again?)
- Update or re-download your VPN / VPN app
- Try another VPN server
- Check for problems with your VPN account
If the problems persist, it is best to contact your VPN service provider or ASUS Online Service Desk. Alternatively, Flashrouters offers exceptional support and expertise.
If setting up a VPN on your router seems like an impossible task, remember that you can still order preconfigured routers from Flashrouters
. Although they come at a higher price than buying the router alone, their application is remarkably simple to use and removes a lot of the hassle.